Companion Animal Rescue League
(CARL) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) animal rescue group in Duluth, Georgia formed approximately seven years ago and made up entirely of volunteers. They do not operate a shelter, but use volunteer foster homes to house and care for the pets in their program. All of their pets are spayed/neutered, vaccinated, dewormed and tested for heartworms (dogs) or FIV/FeLV (cats) prior to adoption. Most pets are also microchipped.
Some of CARL"s adoptable dogs and cats can be seen on Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sundays from Noon to 4 p.m. at the PetSmart in John's Creek. The store also has CARL cats in the adoption center during the week. Anyone who is interested in a specific pet can contact the listed foster home on the Petfinder site for an application. Once an application has been reviewed, the foster parent will set up a time for a "meet and greet" (often at the weekend adoption days) so that you can spend some time getting to know the pet you're interested in. CARL"s adoption fees are $175 for dogs/puppies and $120 for cats/kittens.
Click here to read about CARL"s rescue of cats and kittens during the September 2009 floods in Metro Atlanta.
What you can do:
Kathe Dotson, a volunteer with CARL since 2006, has served as a foster parent, board member and secretary of the organization. Dotson provided the following information concerning the need for volunteers: CARL is looking for pet-loving volunteers to help in all aspects of our rescue programs. If you love cats and dogs and have some time to give, the rewards will be outstanding! You will be paid in purrs and wet, sloppy kisses. You"ll know that you made a difference in the life of a fuzzy friend. Here"s what you can do to help:
- Foster one or more cats, dogs, puppies or kittens ─ Take one or more foster animals into your home and nurture and socialize them until they are adopted by their forever families. As an all-volunteer organization, the number of pets we can help is limited by the number of foster homes we have available to care for them. We're always looking for people willing and able to take animals into their homes, while we all work to find permanent homes for the displaced pets. CARL pays the vet bills. You provide food and other necessities. Additionally, you will have the fulfillment of helping to find an adoptive home for your foster pets through our online adoption site, as well as Adoption Days at PetSmart and other venues.
- PetSmart week-end adoption days ─ Help CARL foster parents set up and take down cages and tables at the Johns Creek PetSmart. Also, assist with adoptions.
- Volunteer in the PetSmart Adoption Center ─ All of the cats housed in the Johns Creek PetSmart Adoption Center are CARL foster kitties. CARL needs volunteers to clean cages in the Adoption Center and play with the kitties one day each week, either morning or evening. This is a great parent/child volunteer activity!
- Help with fundraising ─ As a not-for-profit, volunteer-only pet rescue organization, fundraising is vital to our continued ability to take in and care for additional homeless pets. Volunteers are needed to help develop and execute fundraising ideas.
- Write articles and press releases ─ Creative volunteers are needed to write articles for our newsletter and create press releases to help increase CARL"s name recognition in the community. Put your creative writing ability to work for a great cause!
- Assist with website design and maintenance ─ Help us develop and keep our website current and interesting! Your creativity is a wonderful asset to our cause!
If you would like to explore the possibility of joining our nonprofit animal rescue organization, please e-mail CARL at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (770) 217-3699. All volunteers should be 18 years of age or older, unless accompanied by a parent while volunteering. You can read more about CARL on Petfinder. Get involved and help save a life today!
Photos courtesy of Petfinder.com. The pets pictured above are available for adoption from CARL. Click here if you are interested in adopting one of these pets or another animal from CARL.