ThinkingAhead Executive Search
Best Friends Animal Society has retained the services of ThinkingAhead Executive Search. Please submit your resume, expression of interest and salary history and requirements to Chris Spagnola, Recruiter at email@example.com and Jonathan McIntosh, Recruiter firstname.lastname@example.org.
Best Friends Animal Society is the only national animal welfare organization dedicated to ending the killing of dogs and cats in America's shelters. A leader in the no-kill movement, Best Friends runs lifesaving programs in partnership with more than 1,800 rescue groups and shelters across the country; regional centers in New York City, Los Angeles, Atlanta and Salt Lake City; and the nation's largest no-kill sanctuary for companion animals.
Founded in 1984, Best Friends has helped reduce the number of animals killed in shelters nationwide from 17 million per year to about two million. That means there are still nearly 5,500 dogs and cats killed every day in shelters, just because they don't have safe places to call home. We are determined to get that number to zero by the year 2025. Working together with you, we will end the killing and Save Them All. For more information, visit www.bestfriends.org.
Position: Senior Manager, Business Development
Reports to: Director, Corporate and Foundation Relations
ROLE and RESPONSIBILITIES
The Corporate and Foundations Relations (CFR) team is responsible for generating revenue for Best Friends Animal Society to support organizational priorities and lifesaving work. The corporate team seeks to match the needs of Best Friends with corporate and media partners that align with our mission and help deliver tangible impact through both philanthropic giving and consumer-focused marketing platforms.
The Senior Manager, Business Development will proactively generate new national cause partnerships (corporate and media) that drive revenue, awareness and engagement for Best Friends and its mission. Working with the Director of Corporate and Foundations Relations, the Senior Manager will develop and execute a strategy to attract new six- and seven-figure relationships with companies/organizations that seek to invest in positive, long-term outcomes for shelter pets while delivering on company’s social responsibility, business and marketing goals. With a new focus on a flagship call-to-action campaign, the Senior Manager will develop and lead the prospecting strategy, customize proposals, and evaluate leads for best organizational fit. The Senior Manager will oversee outside Agency in developing new business tools (i.e., campaign sales materials and toolkits).
As a member of a four-person team, the Senior Manager, Business Development will oversee a team of Business Development Managers, and actively contribute toward overall strategic and collective revenue goals for the department, and collaborate within and across departments to maximize opportunities for the organization.
- Responsibility for contributing to the Corporate Partnership team’s mainly unrestricted revenue targets and brand awareness goals, and meeting specific annual individual goals.
- Development and continual refinement of a robust corporate partnership pipeline.
- Identify and proactively outreach to prospects and key contacts within identified categories and companies.
- Collaborate with Director on developing the media partnership strategy, including lead development, revenue and non-revenue goals, and identifying necessary resources for execution and management.
- Ongoing pursuit and management of prospects in developing comprehensive partnership strategy, development and delivery of partnership presentations.
- Lead the negotiation, execution and stewardship of partnership contracts.
- Transition of new partnerships to account management team and coordination around renewals/expansion of partnerships.
- Track personal progress of revenue goals via shared system to ensure staff is informed of needs and progress to goals.
- Ensure Director is briefed on all aspects of progress, needs, issues, and successes.
- Collaborate with other Development areas (Major Gifts, Foundations, Workplace Giving) to enhance portfolio of prospects for each giving area, and identify cross-promotional opportunities to maximize partnership impact.
- Collaborate with Marketing and internal departments to effectively integrate and activate new partnerships.
- Assist with special projects as assigned.
- Work closely with other team members to assign leads by category, geography, and/or expertise, and support co-owned revenue goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business Administration, or related field.
- 8-10 years experience in nonprofit strategic business development with a proven track record of developing high-value cause-related consumer-oriented partnerships ($500K+).
- Experience in developing media partnerships, negotiating terms and valuing non-cash contributions with national media platforms.
- Transferable business contacts a plus.
- Experience with effective account management and partner stewardship.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends’ mission and position on issues.
- Experience developing thoughtful, customized, corporate presentations.
- Superior presentation and writing skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Energy and enthusiasm for Best Friends Animal Society’s mission.
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Flexibility and ability to simultaneously work on a number of projects.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills are imperative for success.
- Strong technical aptitude including experience working with a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, research, and presentation software (Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Comfortable learning new software programs and using online information systems.