Pitbull Websites and Resources
SEE ALSO: Beyond the Stereotypes of Pit-Bull-Terrier-Like Dogs to Save Them All, BSL Cost: Breed-specific Legislation and Dog Breed Fiscal Impact Calculator, Dog Breed Discrimination: How to Prevent It in Your Community, Dogs Are Individuals, Join the Best Friends Legislative Action Center, Pet-Friendly Rentals, Pit Bull Facts and Myths
- Turbocharge Pit Bull Terrier Dog Adoptions
A 10-minute video with information, ideas, and tools to help send more dogs home and make quality adoption matches.
- Breed Identification
Surprising results of a research project developed to compare the best guess visual identification of dogs versus the actual DNA breed make up.
- The Case against Dog Breed Discrimination by Homeowners' Insurance Companies, by Larry Cunningham, Esq.
Many homeowners' insurance companies make underwriting and rate-setting decisions by discriminating against breeds rather than relying on fact and rationality. Read about why this is wrong and why legislatures have the right and duty to correct this unfair practice.
- The Pit Bull Placebo, by Karen Delise of National Canine Research Council
Get the facts: Read about the historical trends of so-called "dangerous dogs" and find out how myths, the media, and politics have played a part in breed discrimination matters.
- From Shelters to Service: Pit Bulls Change Lives as Assistance Dogs
This article from Animal Farm Foundation talks about using pit bull terriers as service dogs.
- Companion Animal Renters Program
Compiled by The Foundation for Interdisciplinary Research and Education Promoting Animal Welfare (FIREPAW), this program offers information for both tenants and landlords about pet-friendly housing.
- Renting With Your Pit Bull
Ways to be proactive in finding pit bull terrier-friendly housing
- Pit Bull Bans: The State of Breed-Specific Legislation by Dana M. Campbell (PDF 105 KB)
A look into the history of breed discriminatory legislation practices
- The Fiscal Impact of Breed Discriminatory Laws at the Dawn of Doggy DNA by Katie Barnett, Ledy VanKavage, Esq. and Lauren Gallagher (PDF 1.7 MB)
A discussion on how DNA impacts breed discriminatory legislation
- Aggression and Dogs (PDF 197 KB)
Is there a difference among breeds and aggression levels that could be a valid rationale for concern?
- An Exploratory Analysis of the Emergence and Implication of Breed Specific Legislation: Knee Jerk Reaction or Warranted Response by Niki Huitson 2005
A thesis on whether breed discriminatory legislation is warranted
- America's Blame Game Goes To the Dogs by Karen Delise of National Canine Research Council (PDF 145 KB)
Is there a disproportionate amount of blame being put towards dogs in the case of human safety?
- Justice for the Vick-tims by Ledy VanKavage, Esq. (PDF 677 KB)
Breed discrimination and canine profiling is on the rise. Pit bulls and other targeted dogs need our compassion and dedication to challenge such practices, demand justice for the real victims, and make pet owners responsible, rather than the dogs.
- National Canine Research Council
The National Canine Research Council is committed to preserving the human-canine bond. The organization publishes, underwrites and reprints accurate, documented, reliable research to promote a better understanding of our relationship with dogs. Check out their informative publications and FAQs about breed-specific legislation on their website.
Posters - test your skills
- Can you find the pit bull terrier owner?
- Can you find the Labrador retriever?
- Can you find the pit-bull-terrier mix?
Organizational positions regarding breed restrictions
- American Bar Association
In August 2012, the American Bar Association passed Resolution 100 calling for all state, territorial and local legislative bodies and governmental agencies to repeal any breed-discriminatory or breed-specific provisions and to adopt comprehensive breed-neutral dangerous-dog/reckless-owner laws that ensure due process protections for owners, encourage responsible pet ownership and focus on the behavior of both dog owners and dogs. For more details, read this article.
- American Veterinary Medical Association
This press release details some of the findings from a report on a study of breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the U.S. And this article recommends encouraging responsible pet ownership rather than banning breeds.
- Platte Institute for Economic Research
This article declares that pit bull bans are a waste of tax dollars.
- U.S. Department of Justice
The U.S. Department of Justice has ruled against breed discrimination for service animals. This article provides more information.
For a more comprehensive list of organizations that don’t endorse breed-discriminatory legislation, click here.