Educational and volunteer opportunities for kids
Best Friends Roadhouse and Mercantile, along with our Sanctuary and Sanctuary-based lodging, are excited to welcome back guests from all across the country! Starting August 1, to keep visitors, staff members and volunteers healthy and safe, we will transition into our longer-term COVID-19 operating plan. This plan reflects the recommended best practices from current government guidelines and credible medical evidence.
While on Best Friends grounds, we ask everyone to adhere to the following safety measures:
- Wear a mask.
- Complete a required health screening questionnaire before being visiting, volunteering or staying in any of our lodging options.
- Wash and sanitize your hands frequently.
- Adhere to proper guidelines on social distancing.
Also, Best Friends is dedicated to keeping guests and visitors safe by taking the following measures:
- Frequent disinfecting of highly touched and high-traffic areas
- Limiting the number of visitors and volunteers who can access indoor spaces and high-traffic areas
- Enforcing proper guidelines on social distancing
- Complying with all CDC, national, state and local laws and guidelines, including any nonlocal stay-at-home orders
Although we are all going through an unprecedented time, we can come together to keep each other safe and healthy as we continue to Save Them All.
Thank you for your commitment to the animals and to each other.
Become a Best Friends Junior Ambassador
Does your child love animals? Want to introduce your kids to the world of animal welfare? Sign them up to become an official Best Friends Animal Society Junior Ambassador.
Children ages 8 to 13 can become junior ambassadors and get to know the fun side of saving animals’ lives. Junior ambassadors will learn about lifesaving tactics like spay/neuter, adoption, trap-neuter-return (TNR) and more. Through this opportunity, kids will:
- Take part in a Best Friends grand Sanctuary tour or visit the Best Friends Visitor Center and learn more about homeless pets
- Complete a fun, educational activity booklet, going over what they learned on their tour or at the visitor center
- Take the junior ambassador oath to help save the lives of homeless pets
- Earn their own official junior ambassador badge, which lets everyone know how much they love animals
After kids become official junior ambassadors, they can take what they learned back to their communities and spread the word about Best Friends and homeless pets to everyone they know.
Becoming a junior ambassador is free but requires registration. Register your future junior ambassador today!
If you have questions, email JA@bestfriends.org.
Kids can volunteer with the animals
UPDATED June 23, 2020 to reflect current COVID-19 protocols as the Sanctuary slowly reopens to visiting volunteers.
Minors under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult at all times while volunteering. One adult can supervise two minors.
For safety considerations, each animal area has its own minimum age requirements. During the Sanctuary's yellow reopening phase, the minimum age to volunteer in each area is:
Area Minimum age:
Cat World – 9
Bunny House – 18+
Parrot Garden – 18+
Dogtown – 16+
Horse Haven – 16+
Marshall's Piggy Paradise – 16+
We look forward to seeing you soon.