29% of households are multi-pet and have cats and dogs
TX – 52,106
CA – 39,111
NC – 27,031
FL – 24,289
AL – 16,825
LA – 15,288
Click here to see all the states.
The percent of U.S. shelters that are no-kill doubled in the last five years, from 24% in 2016 to 48% in 2020.6
A 90% save rate for the animals entering a shelter is the common sense benchmark for measuring no-kill. Learn what no-kill means.
Nearly half (48%) of the shelters in the US meet the no-kill benchmark, accounting for a third of the counties with sheltering services.2
Why the difference? Barriers to adoption revolve around uncertainty and lack of ease in the process.
For those acquiring a new pet dog or cat, there was 400% increase in purchasing online in 2021 from 2020.3
Pets are relinquished to shelters for reasons related to the owner’s circumstances at roughly a ratio of 3 to 1 as compared to reasons specific to the animal. Unlike what many may believe, the animal’s behavior is not a leading reason for surrender.
14.1% of dogs are surrendered due to housing issues, the top reason for canines, while more cats are surrendered due to the owner having too many animals (22.6%) than any other reason.
While dog intakes are higher than cat intakes, more than twice as many cats are dying in shelters. 68% of the animals killed in shelters are cats (the remaining 32% are dogs).6
The most significant concerns about free roaming cats are the spread of diseases (58%), abandoned litters (51%), overpopulation (50%), and safety of the cats (44%).3
These concerns can be remedied through TNR (Trap Neuter Return) and community cat programs and yet 53% of adults have never heard of TNR.3
84% of Americans believe that federal, state or local government should not tell citizens what breeds of dog they cannot own.7
22 states have passed provisions against breed discriminatory legislation8, but only two states (Pennsylvania and Michigan) have laws prohibiting breed-based discrimination in the homeowner’s insurance market.9
Sadly, legislation in seven states currently discriminates against dogs seized in dogfighting cases, stigmatizing them as damaged and unadoptable and denying them an opportunity to prove otherwise.10
More than 400 humane pet sales laws have been enacted, including four states (Maine, Maryland, California, Washington) that prohibit the sale of animals from breeding mills.11
Since 2002, the percentage of households with purebred dogs has seen a decrease and households with mixed-breed dogs has seen an increase.1
Support pet-friendly laws and ordinances: Find an alert relevant to where you live and fill out the contact fields with your information.
Foster:To learn more about the benefits of fostering, check out our resources, FAQ’s, and contact information.
Volunteer: You'll make a real difference in the lives of homeless pets, meet others who love animals, and have fun! There are thousands of Best Friends Network Partners all over the country, and they need your help tody.
Help create big change for the pets and people in your community. Connect with a local team of advocates today.
7 2014 BF Focus Group Research via Luntz Global National Survey: http://resources.bestfriends.org/article/dog-breed-discrimination-prevention