Volunteer opportunities for kids
Become a Best Friends Junior Ambassador
Does your child love animals? Want to introduce your kids to the world of animal welfare? Sign them up to become an official Best Friends Animal Society Junior Ambassador. Kids ages 8 to 13 can become junior ambassadors and get to know the fun side of saving animals' lives. Junior ambassadors will learn about lifesaving tactics like spay/neuter, adoption, trap-neuter-return (TNR) and more.
Through this free opportunity, kids will:
- Take part in a Best Friends grand Sanctuary tour or visit the Best Friends Visitor Center and learn more about homeless pets
- Complete a fun, educational activity booklet, going over what they learned on their tour or at the visitor center
- Take the junior ambassador oath to help save the lives of homeless pets
- Earn their own official junior ambassador badge, which lets everyone know how much they love animals
After kids become official junior ambassadors, they can take what they learned back to their communities and spread the word about Best Friends and homeless pets to everyone they know.
Becoming a junior ambassador is free. Register your child in-person at the Best Friends Welcome Center at the Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah. For questions regarding the Junior Ambassador Program, email JA@bestfriends.org.
Can't make it to the Sanctuary? No worries! We are working on a virtual tour and workbook so that you can become a Junior Ambassador from home. Visit the Best Friends Family Fun and discover:
- DIY pet project PDFs
- Meet our adorable, adoptable animals
- Meet the professionals
- New arrivals
- Youth action items in your community
- Virtual educational presentations
Kids can volunteer with the animals
Volunteering is a great way to spend time with the animals at our Sanctuary and also make a difference in their lives. When supervised by a parent or guardian, kids can volunteer to help with cleaning, walking and caring for the animals. Kids under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult at all times while volunteering. One adult can supervise two minors.
For safety considerations, each animal area has its own minimum age requirements. The minimum age to volunteer in each area is:
Area Minimum age:
Cat World - 9+
Bunny House - 8+
Parrot Garden - 8+
Dogtown and outings - 16+
Piggy Paradise - 16+
Horse Haven - 16+
Wild Friends - 18+
Sanctuary Store - 18+
Angels Rest - 18+
Landscaping - 18+
We look forward to seeing you soon.