Volunteer your time with the residents that call this area home
Thanks for your interest in volunteering at Dogtown! Review the calendar below to find available volunteer shifts. Scheduling your volunteer shifts in advance is highly recommended, and shifts can be scheduled as far as one year in advance. Contact the Sanctuary Volunteer Department at email@example.com or 435-644-2001, ext. 4119 with any questions.
Ready to get started? Click the button below to create your volunteer account. If you already have a volunteer account with Best Friends, you can log-in to your account and start scheduling your Sanctuary trip!
Dogtown Volunteer Projects
There are many ways you can make a difference in helping our dogs find their forever home. While volunteering you might be asked to help with any of the following tasks:
- Sweeping or mopping the floors in buildings, runs, or patios
- Raking the runs and filling in holes
- Taking dogs on walks (weather dependent)
- Feeding, along with a caregiver (some dogs have special diets so a caregiver must be present during all feedings)
- Socializing (first ask the caregiver if the dog is toy-aggressive)
- Poop scooping
- Cleaning doggie door flaps
- Clearing walking trails of rocks, sticks, or poop
- Cleaning and refilling water pails
- Cleaning and refilling pools in the summer
- Taking dogs on an outing (special considerations apply)
- Walking the fencing to make sure no holes are being created
- Doing other general cleaning and special projects (ask the caregiver)
- Wrapping whistles
- Making treat pouches for outings and sleepover bags
- General office work if you cannot be out in the elements
- Washing dishes
- Helping with laundry
- Weeding runs
- Helping out with Dogtown Maintenance
Dogtown Safety Guidelines
To keep you and our animal friends safe, here are a few things that you should be aware of before volunteering:
Closed-toe shoes are required for volunteering in all animal areas. Sneakers or hiking shoes are the preferred footwear and shoes must have a heel strap at minimum. Clog type shoes are not permitted as shoes could fall off while walking or working with animals, climbing ladders or performing other volunteer tasks.
- Parking and driving are permitted only in designated areas.
- You must have your own transportation to the area in which you're volunteering.
- It is very important to clip all gates closed when entering or leaving a dog run.
- Please be aware that dogs like to jump up on people, which could cause or exacerbate injuries.
- Be careful not to place your face close to a dog's face in case a biting reaction occurs.
- If you see a dog fight starting, blow your whistle until a staff member arrives. Please don't try to break up a fight yourself.
- Dogtown trails are for walking only; running with the dogs is not allowed.
- While we welcome your questions about our dog-training procedures, we ask that you please refrain from trying to train them on your own.
- Please do not bring your personal pets to Dogtown.
Please do not use cell phones or cameras when you are supervising a dog. This includes walking a dog on or off Sanctuary proper during your volunteer shift or while on an outing or sleepover.